Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Brussels Sprouts

In an effort to try new things and get a bit more iron in my diet I am making brussels sprouts for the first time. I have tried them before - just boiled w/some butter and salt - and I hated them! So I am looking for some creative and hopefully tasty recipes. If you know of any that you like, please share!! Here is one that I think I might try...

Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Casserole

Preheat oven to 350. Cook 2lbs brussels sprouts (halved) in boiling salted water for 6 min or until tender. Meanwhile melt 3 Tbsp butter in saucepan. Stir in 3 Tbsp flour w/wire whisk. Gradually add 3 cups milk, stirring after each addition. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 3-5 min or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheese and 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg. Drain sprouts, add to cheese sauce, mix lightly. Spoon into greased 9x13, sprinkle with 1/2 cup finely crushed Ritz crackers. Bake 35-40 min, until top is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. that recipe sounds good. i'll have to try it soon. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete