Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gluten Free and Me

So I finally did it! I am officially gluten free! And it sucks, lol! But I'm feeling better so that's what really matters. Though I'd seriously consider murder for a cupcake right now...

The reason I went gluten free is simple - I want to feel better. There are a few people in my family that have either Celiac or a gluten-intolerance. I have very similar symptoms as they do, so I am assuming I have the same issue. I could go get a blood test or scope to find out for sure, but with no insurance at the moment that isn't really an option. I talked with my doctor and he said that the simplest way to find out if you have a gluten allergy, etc is to cut it out completely for a month or so and see how you feel. So that is my plan of attack. It has been about 5 days now and I feel pretty good! I had one horrible stomach ache and I think it's because the tortilla chips I ate were flour instead of corn :-( I am dying for a lot of the yummy gluten filled foods that I normally eat, but feeling good is worth more than the price I would pay for whoofing down a pizza!

So, wish me luck! It's gonna be a long hard and tempting road, but feeling better, being healthy and losing weight (hopefully) should be enough incentive to put down the donut...

3 comments:

  1. oh goodness...that would be so hard! i have seen tons of gluten free recipes online though...and even gluten free cake mixes at the store. glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar High in Frankenmuth's River Place has SUPER delicious gluten free cupcakes. Seriously, so good.
    Also there's a super good pizza crust mix that I use. It also doubles to make calzones. YUM! I'll hook ya up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this similiar to being lactose intolerant

    Also, Zippy pizza's near where I live is advertising a gluten free pizza.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete